With perfect weather, Jase and his family joined us at the Dandenong Wetlands for a small launch. Jase had been working with his daughter Zoe on a school project and had built a fantastic looking rocket. This was the first opportunity to launch it on an Estes D12-3 motor.
(Zoe's Rocket on a D12-3)
I also launched "Twisted" - the Finless Rocket!!
So, how did it fly? Check out the video after the jump. You can also check out the full set of photos of the day here on Flickr.
Some time ago I had an idea for a spin-stabilised rocket. Instead of using fins, I thought if I could get a rocket to spin fast enough, it would travel straight much like a bullet does. The idea bumped around inside my head until the other day - so I started building!
First thing was to construct a motor mount. This comprised of a cluster of three 13mm motors. I also created an internal launch lug.
Despite the weather, Rocketfest XVIII went ahead on May 26th at Eric's property in Officer. Upon arrival, the rain was bucketing down but stopped shortly after and held off for the remainder of the day.
Only a few flyers and a handful of spectators, a fairly typical turn-out but lots of fun regardless. The theme of the day was "Go Small" and there were quite a few entries :)
Lots of fun was had with these little rockets. My spool rocket was the smallest by 2mm. Karl's rocket (2nd from the right) was the highest and Darren's pointy one with the long fins in the middle was probably the most entertaining.
May 5th marked the first launch for the year. It was a nice warm day with little wind - you couldn't have asked for better conditions.
The big launch of the day was Karl's 1/4 scale V2. Karl's working towards building a full 1:1 scale model. The flight was fantastic. Recovery was hampered only by the parachute catching on the guy-wires used to help keep the fins straight.
Towards the end of 2012, I signed up for the Secret Santa on the Rocketry Forum. During the course of the event, names were swapped and everyone posted off a gift to someone else. My secret santa arranged for one of Art Applewhite's 10" Clustered flying saucers to be delivered under my tree!
A little while ago I started work on the saucer. The kit comprised of a sheet of foam-core board, some bright green paper and a good selection of tubes. The build was straight-forward and the bulk of the build was completed in a couple of evenings. I didn't document the build.
Here's the final result -
I created custom decals for both the top and bottom of the saucer
I was recently deployed with Strike team 0803 to Heyfield in Eastern Victoria to help fight the fires that had burnt through Heyfield, Seaton and Glenmaggie. I was on night shift on Friday 18th and Saturday 19th of Jan, 2013. These are some of the photos I took over those few days.
Back in November Bill from 3D Rocketry announced his new kit, the Nautilus III I thought it looked like a super rocket so I contacted Bill and he was happy to post one off to Australia and it arrived within a couple of weeks.
First impressions is that this is a good solid kit. The 54mm body tube is solid and has a very tough nose cone. The centering rings are 4mm ply and the fins are 3mm ply. The instructions are straight forward and even describes how to do internal fillets - something that you'll want to do as externally, there's some strips of basswood that go between the body tube and the fins.
I used an Estes 29mm motor retainer (for the price, these are great value). I swapped out the supplied launch lug for rail buttons and attached the shock cord to the forward centering ring with a screw-eye.
The kit as it comes is designed to fly on a range of F's but with the quality of the parts supplied, there should be no reason why it won't perform just as well on G's (I'm looking forward to seeing it go up on a G64!!)
As for finishing the Nautilus III, I thought what a rocket would look like if Capt. Nemo had a rocket and looking at the Nautilus submarine, it seemed like it would be metal that was a bit old and rusted. I took some time, read through a bunch of tutorials and had a go at airbrushing the metal & rust effect. I'm happy with the end result :)
The Blue Bird Zero was part of the Estes catalogue from 1980 to 1985 as kit #1335
I've always thought that this was a very neat looking kit and have wanted one for a while. Recently, Semroc have released this as a Retro Repo kit. While it's nice, I wanted something bigger. The original is about 1m tall, made from BT55 tube. Here's my 2x upscale!! Made from BT80 body tube it stands just on 2m tall.